A voluntary program that permits you to build retirement savings on a pre-tax basis:
- Contributions are deducted from salary each pay period.
- Several plan investment options available to choose from.
- Taxes are paid when your funds are paid to you.
- You choose the method of payment and commencement date of your payments.
- Cash Match variable depending upon funding (currently up to $20 per pay period if deferring at least $40.00 per pay period).
A specified amount is earned each semi-monthly pay period, depending on the number of years of employment with the State. A limited amount of accumulation may be carried over from year to year or paid out upon separation from service.
Years of Service Hours Earned Per Pay Period Days Per Year Maximum Accumulation 0-5 4 hours 12 192 5 5 hours 15 240 10 6 hours 18 288 15 7 hours 21 288 20 8 hours 24 336 25 9 hours 27 336
Months of State Service Sick Leave Hours Less than 60 (5 years) 64 hours (8 days) 60 to 119 (5- 10 years) 72 hours (9 days) 120 or more (over 10) 80 hours (10 days)
Months of State Service Family and Personal Leave Hours Less than 120 (10 years) 32 hours (4 days) 120 or more (Over 10 years) 40 hours (5 days)
This benefit allows you to set aside a portion of your pay, on a pre-tax basis, into an account for predictable qualifying medical and dependent care expenses.
- A Medical Reimbursement Account allows the employee to pay for the out-of-pocket medical, dental, and vision care expenses not covered by your health benefits plan.
- A Dependent Care Reimbursement Account allows the employee to pay daycare expenses for eligible dependents.
Twelve paid holidays per year.
- New Year's Day
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Memorial Day
- Labor Day
- Veteran's Day
- Christmas Day
- Lee-Jackson Day
- George Washington's Birthday
- Independence Day
- Columbus Day
- Thanksgiving (2 days)
For more information, the following web sites have additional information on state benefits:
Department of Human Resource Management http://www.dhrm.virginia.gov
Virginia Retirement System http://www.varetire.org/myvrs-access/index.asp