There are two methods of obtaining criminal history record name searches pursuant to §19.2-389 of the Code of Virginia. Listed below are the two required forms:
(1) Criminal History Records Check (SP-167)
Criminal history record dissemination is governed by Section 19.2-389 of the Code of Virginia.
Requests for criminal record searches must be executed by the submission of a signed and notarized “Criminal Record Name Search” form SP-167. The instructions for the completion of this form are included with the document. This form can be viewed, downloaded and/or printed by visiting the Virginia State Police Forms page.
Examples of entities/individuals eligible to use this form are:
- General Public
- Private Companies
(2) Criminal History Records Check (SP-230)
Criminal history record dissemination submitted on the SP-230 is governed by Section 19.2-389 of the Code of Virginia. Pursuant to this section, the following non-criminal justice entities are empowered to receive criminal record name searches using the SP-230 form. This form does not require notarization.
- Domestic/ International Adoptions & Foster Care Agencies
- Hospital Pharmacy Employees
- Adult Home Care Facilities
- Licensed Homes for Adults
- District Homes for Adults
- Adult Day Care Centers
- Licensed Child Care Centers
- Unlicensed Child Care Centers
- Cities/Counties Under a Duly Enacted Ordinance
Submit an SP-230 form in conjunction with a $15.00 company check or money order to:
Please allow 12-14 business days for processing. This form can be viewed, downloaded and/or printed by visiting the Virginia State Police Forms page.
The following agencies are entitled to receive complete criminal record information from CCRE as specified by law:
- Alcoholic Beverage Control Board
- Specific Volunteer Agencies
- Foster Care Agencies*
- Domestic/International Adoption Agencies
- Gaming Commission
- Office of Interdepartmental Regulations*
- State Lottery*
- Armed & Unarmed Security Guard Companies
- Court Order/Subpoena
- Public School Boards*
- State Corporation Commission
- State Board of Elections
- Volunteer Fire & Rescue Depts.
- VISA/Passports for International Travel
- Virginia Racing Commission*
- Depts. Social Services-Mental Health/Retardation Substance Abuse*
- Virginia Power
*Statutes provide for submission of fingerprints for state and federal search of fingerprint files at a cost of $13.00 for CCRE search and $24.00 for search of Federal Bureau of Investigation file; total $37.00 fee.
Since these entities are statutorily entitled to criminal name searches, the State Police has developed the Non-criminal Justice Interface (NCJI). This program is explained on the Central Criminal Records Exchange page, and a name search produces electronic responses within 72 hours, or less.
Please e-mail specific questions to: Criminal Record Check or call 804-674-6718.