There are two methods of obtaining criminal history record name searches pursuant to §19.2-389 of the Code of Virginia. Listed below are the two required forms:
(1) Criminal History Records Check (SP-167)
Criminal history record dissemination is governed by Section 19.2-389 of the Code of Virginia.
Requests for criminal record searches must be executed by the submission of a signed and notarized “Criminal Record Name Search” form SP-167. The instructions for the completion of this form are included with the document. This form can be viewed, downloaded and/or printed by visiting the Virginia State Police Forms page.
Examples of entities/individuals eligible to use this form are:
- General Public
- Private Companies
(2) Criminal History Records Check (SP-230)
Criminal history record dissemination submitted on the SP-230 is governed by Section 19.2-389 of the Code of Virginia. Pursuant to this section, the following non-criminal justice entities are empowered to receive criminal record name searches using the SP-230 form. This form does not require notarization.
- Domestic/ International Adoptions & Foster Care Agencies
- Hospital Pharmacy Employees
- Adult Home Care Facilities
- Licensed Homes for Adults
- District Homes for Adults
- Adult Day Care Centers
- Licensed Child Care Centers
- Unlicensed Child Care Centers
- Cities/Counties Under a Duly Enacted Ordinance
Submit an SP-230 form in conjunction with a $15.00 company check or money order to:
Please allow 12-14 business days for processing. (Note: 12-14 business days does not include USPS delivery.)
This form can be pre-filled and printed for notary signature and mailing (Adobe Acrobat Reader required). Virginia State Police Forms
The following agencies are entitled to receive complete criminal record information from CCRE as specified by law:
- Alcoholic Beverage Control Board
- Specific Volunteer Agencies
- Foster Care Agencies*
- Domestic/International Adoption Agencies
- Gaming Commission
- Office of Interdepartmental Regulations*
- State Lottery*
- Armed & Unarmed Security Guard Companies
- Court Order/Subpoena
- Public School Boards*
- State Corporation Commission
- State Board of Elections
- Volunteer Fire & Rescue Depts.
- VISA/Passports for International Travel
- Virginia Racing Commission*
- Depts. Social Services-Mental Health/Retardation Substance Abuse*
- Virginia Power
*Statutes provide for submission of fingerprints for state and federal search of fingerprint files at a cost of $13.00 for CCRE search and $24.00 for search of Federal Bureau of Investigation file; total $37.00 fee.
Since these entities are statutorily entitled to criminal name searches, the State Police has developed the Non-criminal Justice Interface (NCJI). This program is explained on the Central Criminal Records Exchange page, and a name search produces electronic responses within 72 hours, or less.
Please e-mail specific questions to: Criminal Record Check or call 804-674-2131.